Fauna & Flora International (FFI) has enormous respect and a sense of care for its members and supporters – you make our work possible, you inspire us, you challenge us to be better at conservation and fundraising – because of this we set out our promise to you for how we will carry out our fundraising, and how we will treat those who support our work.
This promise is central to the way we fundraise, and although we are a small team, all of us at FFI work hard and make a commitment to adhere to it at all times and meet the needs of our supporters.
The details of FFI’s Fundraising Promise are set out below, but additionally to this promise we make some further promises which we feel are important in showing how valuable we consider the relationship we have with our supporters:
- FFI will never sell or trade personal data – be that with charities or otherwise – this goes for every single piece of data we hold on our supporters, and this will never change.
- We are grateful for every donation, act of support, word of advice or guidance, for every comment, complaint or compliment. We will always make the effort to say thank you and acknowledge any act of support as quickly as possible (unless you tell us not to!).
- Being a supporter of FFI is being part of a two-way conversation. If you want to contact us, and if you want to speak to a specific member of the fundraising team then you can do that – we positively encourage it. It doesn’t matter what the nature of the question or contact is; we value the opinions, thoughts and feelings of those who support our work and want to hear them – because they’re important, and they allow us in turn to become better at what we do.
- FFI is committed to high standards
- We do all we can to ensure that our fundraisers, our volunteers, and any third parties working with us to raise money, comply with the Fundraising Code of Practice – which you can read here. We also ensure they comply with this Promise which represents our own standards and expectations when it comes to fundraising and our relationship with our supporters.
- We always comply with the law, including those that relate to data protection, health and safety and the environment.
- We will display the Fundraising Regulator badge on our fundraising materials to show we are committed to best practice.
2. FFI is clear, open and honest
- We always tell the truth and will never exaggerate.
- We always do what we say we’re going to do with the donations we receive.
- We will always answer all reasonable questions about our fundraising activities and costs.
- We are clear about who we are, what we do and how your gift is used.
- Where we have a promotional agreement with a commercial company, we make clear how much of the purchase price we receive.
- We give a clear explanation of how you can make a gift and amend a regular donation.
- Where we ask a third party to fundraise on our behalf, we will make this relationship and the financial arrangement transparent.
- We will be able to explain our fundraising costs and show how they are in the best interests of our cause if challenged.
4. We are respectful
- We promise to respect any personal data you share with us, or that we get from other organisations, and keep it safe. We wont use your data to do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect, or that we couldn’t strongly justify.
- Developing a better understanding of the people who support us by using their personal data allows us to make better decisions, fundraise in the most effective way, and ultimately protect as many species and habitats around the world as possible.
- We will mainly use your data to:
- Provide you with the services, products or information you have asked for
- Administer your donation, process Gift Aid, or support any fundraising you might be doing
- Keep a record of your relationship with us
- Ensure we know how you would like us to contact you
- Understand how we can improve our services, products or information
- We do use profiling and screening techniques to ensure communications are relevant to you and timely, and to provide an improved experience for our supporters. Profiling allows us to target our resources effectively. We do this because it allows us to understand the background of the people who support us, as well as to ensure that our requests for support are appropriate to each individuals circumstances and their propensity towards our work. Importantly it enables us to raise more money, and in the most efficient – and respectful – manner.
When building a profile we may analyse geographical, demographic and other information relating to you in order to better understand your interests and preferences in order to contact you with the most relevant communications. In doing this we may use additional information from third party sources when it is available. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you, for example addresses and listed directorships, as well as sources of data that you have given consent to be shared. If you have any concerns over this, if you would like to see what information we hold about you, or if you would like to request that we do not use your data in this way, then please do contact us and we will fully respect your wishes.
- We respect the rights, dignities and privacy of our supporters and beneficiaries.
- We will not put undue pressure on you to make a gift and if you do not want to give or wish to cease giving, we will respect your decision.
- If you tell us that you don’t want us to contact you in a particular way we will not do so.
- We will work with the Telephone, Mail and Fundraising Preference Services to ensure that those who choose not to receive specific types of communications don’t.
- Where the law requires, we will get your consent before we contact you to fundraise.
5. We are fair and reasonable
- We take care not to use any images or words that cause unjustifiable distress of offence.
- We take care not to cause unreasonable nuisance or disruption.
- We will treat donors and the public fairly, showing sensitivity and adapting our approach depending on your needs.
6. We are accountable and responsible
- We will manage our resources responsibly and consider the impact of our fundraising on our donors, supporters and the wider public.
- If you are unhappy with anything we’ve done whilst fundraising, you can contact us to give us feedback. We will listen to feedback and respond appropriately to the compliments and criticism we receive.
- We will monitor and record the number of complaints we receive each year and share this data with the Fundraising Regulator on request.
- We will provide clear and evidential based reasons for our decision on complaints.
- If we cannot resolve your complaint, we accept the authority of the Fundraising Regulator to make a final adjudication.
This Fundraising Promise extends to all of our supporters, regardless of what country they are from – and we seek to review, amend and go above and beyond regulations and expectations for each of the countries that we fundraise within.
If you have any questions about any of this, or wanted to ask any questions relating to our fundraising then you can speak to me, Paul White, Head of Supporter Recruitment & Development, by contacting me by:
Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone at +44 (0)1223 749018
Post at Fauna & Flora International, The David Attenborough Building, Pembroke Street, Cambridge, CB2 3QZ, UK
- You can disable any cookies already stored on your computer, but these may stop our website from functioning properly. The following are not strictly necessary, but do help us to provide you with the best user experience and also to tell us which pages you find most interesting. This website will track the pages you visit and overall visit duration via Google Analytics (anonymously). Google Analytics will also tell us if you clicked on a Google AdWords ad, indicating what search terms you entered to activate the ad, if you donate, sign up as a member or sign up to an e-newsletter. In this case we will be able to identify you via the information you enter at the time of sign up or donation.
- This website will also allow you to share pages with social networks such as Facebook. This website will not share any personal information with third parties beyond what is strictly necessary in order to process donations, memberships or mailing list signups.